Archive for the ‘Health’ Category
On The Psyche Whisperer Radio Show A.J. Mahari interviewed guest, Dr. Mark William Cochran, author of Oby’s Widsom! An Caveman’s Simple Guide to Health and Well-being. An inspirational, insightful, empowering, energetic, and enlightening must-read book.
Oby’s Wisdom! A Caveman’s Simple Guide to Health and Well-being
I’ll share my story of transformation with you in a just a minute…
First, let’s find out if Oby’s Wisdom is right for you. I wrote this book for two types of people. Both have one thing in common:
They care—really care—about their health and the health of those they love.
Do you fit one of the descriptions below? If so, this book is a must read for you.
1. Are you (or is someone you care about) currently dealing with a health challenge? Your particular challenge may be serious—even life threatening—or it may be a mere annoyance. Either way, you want to take care of it. Your challenge may be new to you, or you may have been fighting it for years. Maybe you’re discouraged, even feeling helpless and hopeless. Perhaps you keep hearing what I heard so many times: “You’ve just gotta learn to live with it.” (I know; that one always drove me crazy too. I never accepted it and you don’t have to either.) Maybe you’re a fighter and aren’t willing to throw in the towel just yet. Or maybe you’re tired, even exhausted, and you feel like giving up. That’s the journey I traveled; that’s where this book comes from. I learned a lot, I grew, I evolved, and today I’m thriving! If it can happen for me, it can happen for you!
2. Are you in great health? If so, congratulations! This book is especially important for you. The lessons I learned—and that I share with you in this book—aren’t just about turning poor health around. They’re about allowing vibrant health to blossom in your life. My starting point was chronic, debilitating pain. And one of my milestones—so far—has been to run a marathon! And my health just keeps getting better. If your starting point is robust health and if you begin applying these lessons now, imagine the possibilities that will emerge in your life. Just imagine…
Empower your potential, not your problems!
(What are you focusing on in your life…?)
Empowering your potential is what Oby’s Wisdom is all about. Take another look at the title of the book. Pay special attention to the fact that it’s a “Simple Guide to Health and Well-being.” This isn’t just about curing, managing or even preventing pain or disease. You are much more than a collection of problems. You are a whole, vibrant, living human being with unfathomable potential in all areas of life, including your health. This is a book about finding and revealing the vibrant health that you already possess. You and I, and everybody we know, are designed to be healthy. I spent years believing that I would never enjoy good health again, until I shifted how I thought, spoke, acted and approached life. Rather than wallow in woe, I learned to turn on life! I traveled a long, winding, bumpy road before I finally figured that out. When I finally did, I realized that the lessons are really very simple and timeless. I’m offering you years worth of “learning the hard way,” in this one book.
Are you making the big mistake that almost everybody else is making?
Conventional medicine is making this mistake, but they don’t have a monopoly on it. Not even close. The alternative healthcare world, as a whole, is making the same mistake. So is the government, our society and probably you, too.
Until we correct this mistake, our healthcare system will continue to be ineffective.
Until we correct this mistake, healthcare reform won’t work.
And, until you correct this mistake, you’ll never reach your peak health potential.
So, what’s the big mistake I’m talking about?
We’re imprisoned by IT.
In other words, we devote so much of our time, energy and resources to fighting, curing, fixing and preventing problems, that we lose sight of our potential. And the more we focus on IT, the more we trap ourselves in IT.
In my case, IT was arthritis. For you, IT may be anything from a cold to cancer, from heartburn to a heart attack, or from pounds to pimples. Our exclusive focus on IT has given rise to some unpleasant side effects:
Complexity. We have made health too hard. There are so many drugs, surgical procedures, supplements, machines, natural healing modalities, diets and exercise programs that we don’t know where to turn. There is a ton of research that proves that all of them work…and…there’s a ton of research to prove that all of them don’t work. The result is overwhelming confusion!
Helplessness. We’re faced with so many choices and conflicting theories that it is hard to figure out what to do. Wise doctors, convincing authors and slick advertisements keep us bouncing from one miracle cure to the next, always seeking that elusive silver bullet that will finally “work.” We keep running like a gerbil in an exercise wheel because we don’t know where else to go. Or worse yet, we give up.
Expense. None of these complex competing healthcare choices are free. I’m guessing that you have already spent hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars—not to mention the countless hours of your precious time—spinning in the wheel.
I am not suggesting that we never pay any attention to IT. Sometimes that’s appropriate. But remember: The most powerful and effective approach to health and well-being is to empower your potential, not your problems!
Oby’s Wisdom provides you simple, sensible guidelines to help you to stop worrying so much about IT and start taking care of you!
So, why a caveman?
(And where does the name, “Oby” come from, anyway…?)
Oby is the nickname of Obsidian J. Stone, my lighthearted fictitious depiction of a wise man from a simpler time. In this entertaining book, you will also get to know Oby’s wife, Fern, their toddler son, Scooter and their happy little dog, Proto. Their lives serve as the perfect illustration of the incredible power of Nature that allows all of us—including you—to heal. Oby and his contemporaries didn’t have a healthcare “system.” All they had were the gifts of Nature. Despite the enormous challenges of their time (and ours), the simple wisdom of Nature has allowed humanity to survive and thrive from the days of stone tools to the space age. Today, the solution to many of our modern challenges lies in reconnecting with the wisdom of Nature.
“By following this simple wisdom, I transformed myself from a nearly crippled arthritic to a triathlete and marathon runner.”
“I’ve lived a miracle. You can, too!”
I’ve walked the healing path myself! Mine was a long and winding journey. All along the way, IT was an unwelcome travel companion that I just couldn’t seem to get rid of, no matter how hard I tried. And believe me, IT was a real pain! I tried every trick I could think of but IT just kept hanging around. Sometimes I would shake IT for a little while, but IT always found me again. Along the way, I missed out on more than I care to think about. Recreation, play time with my growing son, sleep, happiness—all were overshadowed by IT. IT even ended a successful a career that I loved.
At age 23, I developed severe inflammatory arthritis. At the time, I was in the Marines so I had to keep myself in top physical condition. I was an athlete and I enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors. Needless to say, arthritis did not fit in with my active lifestyle. IT had to go.
At first I ignored IT, but IT just kept getting worse. So I fought IT. After all, I was a Marine. Victory was the only acceptable outcome for me. The battle raged for years. Along the way I learned Nature’s secret to health and well-being. Even after it was revealed to me, for a long time this secret remained hidden behind the dark veil of my pain. When I finally embraced and embodied the secret, my health and life finally started to take a positive turn. Since then, my health has continued to improve beyond anything I could have ever imagined.
“There’s nothing special about me.”
(Well, OK, maybe there is…)
Many people have told me that my story is inspiring but I’m always quick to point out that there’s nothing special about me. Well, actually there is something special about me. Very special. And that is true of you, too! We have all heard inspiring stories about people who have overcome terrible adversity and gone on to do great things. Accident victims who have been told they would never walk again have won Olympic medals. Cancer patients given only months to live have gone on to not only survive, but to enjoy long, productive and fulfilling lives. Other people have lost limbs or shed huge amounts of weight and then competed in Ironman triathlons. The breadth and depth of human potential is breathtaking!
And you—yes, you—have that same potential!
My journey back to health was a long and challenging one. If I had known then what I know now, it would have been a lot shorter and smoother. That’s why I wrote this book: to share Nature’s powerful secret with you so that you can unleash your potential.
In addition to true stories, Oby’s Wisdom includes many entertaining, original parables that present fresh, thought-provoking concepts in an entertaining light.
- First, of course, Oby, Fern and Scooter appear throughout the book to show how following Nature’s simple but brilliant plan is the most effective path to robust health and well-being.
- Winifred and Tanicus (Win and Tank to their friends) are two new business professionals whose contrasting perspectives in their quest for success—and their opposite results—serve as a metaphor to show you something that very few people know: “prevention” and “wellness” are two very different approaches to health and well-being.
- The Gym and the Trout Stream is a humorous story that shows how to choose the right exercise program for you—one that will lead to improved health and well-being in your life. Choosing wrong will only stress you out and lead to failure. (If you are like many others—including me—you already know this from personal experience.)
Oby’s Wisdom will introduce you to some new, thought-provoking ideas that will open your eyes to new possibilities in your life and stretch your thinking about health and healing. I call them new, but really, they’re timeless. Oby knew all of this stuff. Not many people understand this wisdom anymore.
Among these illuminating concepts are:
- The Basic Truth. Has anyone has ever shared “The Basic Truth” with you? I know your doctor hasn’t. It is the single most important thing you need to know for designing the healthy lifestyle you want. This will become your foundation. I’m not going to tell it to you here; you’ll have to read the book. (But it is in the free excerpt that I’m offering below.)
- Turn on life! What is your primary approach to health? If you’re like most people, it is intervention. Maybe you throw in some prevention, too. They’re not too different from each other—they both use “problems” as their starting point. Neither intervention nor prevention are focused on life! We have been doing everything backwards for too long now. It’s time to turn things around! The entire second half of the book teaches how we can turn on life—as individuals and as a collective.
- The True Nature of Healing. What does “healing” mean to you? For most people, it means “getting better.” In truth, healing is much more than correcting problems. Oby’s Wisdom teaches you how to go beyond getting better, and embrace healing as a lifelong process of change, growth and personal evolution.
- What Wellness Really is. Wellness is a popular buzzword these days, but what does it really mean? Not many people know. Conventional doctors don’t. Not many alternative healers know, either. Now you can learn!
- And (of course) others…!
All of it is fun, lighthearted and easy to read and understand!
For much more information on this wonderful book please visit Oby’s Wisdom!
Five Star Reviews for Oby’s Wisdom! A Caveman’s Simple Guide to Health and Well-being (Paperback)
This is an awesome book. So simple and fun to read yet packed to the brim with profound wisdom for living on this earth. Everyone should read it at least once. Scooters Wisdom contains wonderful advice for parents of babies and young children and I am planning to give this gift to every new mother. I had many ah-hah moments and couldn’t put it down. Thank you, Mark! — By Ruth
Oby’s Wisdom was a really simple read filled with basic truths on health. Reading this powerful book reminded me to trust in the power of my own being to heal and function as I am capable of doing. Based on chiropractic principle and knowledge, I would recommend this to my practice members, family and friends. Oby’s Wisdom combines all of the vitalistic philosophies, and captures the “good stuff” in a way that most anyone will be able to relate to. – By April E. Warhola
I love the book and plan on purchasing several copies to give to friends. What an incredibly simple, yet powerful message. This is a must-read for anyone who truly wants to experience the most out of life. At a time when “healthcare” has become so convoluted and manipulated, Oby’s message is easy to understand, beautiful, and crystal clear. Amazing how profound he is. I mean if even a caveman can do it … (!) — By Enjoy Life! (Hartford, CT)